Los Angeles Domestic Violence Attorney
Mr. Sterling is an experienced litigator in the area of domestic violence. The Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling specializes in all areas of domestic abuse, including:
- domestic violence between partners and/or spouses
- child abuse and child endangerment
- elder abuse
- restraining order violations
- protective order violations
- protective order modifications
Many of the laws relating to domestic abuse are dated and unfair. There is a common misconception that if the “alleged victim” declines to press charges, the criminal case against the accused will be dismissed or dropped.
In fact, the opposite holds true. Once the police arrive at a domestic disturbance call, it is no longer up to the parties whether there will be an arrest. If the police do make an arrest, it is then up to the prosecutorial agency to decide whether formal charges are filed. Whether the “victim” wants the case prosecuted or not becomes irrelevant.
Mr. Sterling’s clientele have received acquittals after trial and dismissals before trial in even the most serious domestic abuse allegations. Mr. Sterling has been successful in routinely keeping his clients out of jail. Many of his case results in this area have involved community service and/or anger management classes. We focus on providing our clients with personalized service coupled with in-depth legal expertise in this area.
The Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling, Los Angeles domestic violence attorney, takes affirmative steps in defending its clients in a domestic violence matter. These steps include, but are not limited to the following:
- we offer thorough pre-file investigation: this is the process of preventing a case from being filed at its inception;
- we conduct complete interviews of all witnesses even if already interviewed by law enforcement in order to determine the presence of inconsistencies or fabrications;
- we analyze and evaluate all evidence in order to establish and develop legal defenses to the crimes charged;
- we consult with various experts concerning injuries and/or wounds; expert testimony can facilitate favorable pre-trial results and can also be used at trial to discredit government witnesses;
- we conduct a rigorous and thorough investigation of the “alleged victim” to determine possible motives to lie;
- we routinely author, file, and argue legal motions relating to specific issues in a particular case; a successfully argued motion can result in a case being dismissed and in some situations position a client’s case for success at trial;
- we offer aggressive representation relating to modifications of protective orders and restraining orders.
If you or a loved one has been arrested or charged with domestic violence it is critical to immediately consult with an experienced Los Angeles domestic violence attorney. Oftentimes, early intervention by a qualified domestic violence lawyer can position the case for a favorable outcome. In some situations it is even possible to arrange for the dismissal of all criminal charges prior to the court process. Call Mr. Sterling, criminal lawyer, today at (818) 995-9452 for a free consultation.
Domestic Violence Resources and Help
LADA Domestic Violence Hotline
Domestic Violence – California Courts
Department of Justice – Stopping Domestic Violence